Car Seat Canopy

I am sure that these are all over the place in Utah but they are new to me in Oregon. I pulled these instructions off of a blog I follow because I have yet to contribute, oops! Anyway who wants to make one with me?

So here's what you need for the car seat canopy:

1 yard of top fabric
1 yard of contrasting fabric for underside
1-2 yards of grosgrain ribbon (you can use fabric for this part...if you want to tie yours in bows, you'll need 2 yards...for just a regular tie, 1 yard. Also, I've seen these with buttons on the top instead of ribbon...cute but time consuming...and I don't have time for button holes at this point in my life...if you do, more power to 'ya.)
fire (from a match or a lighter or a piece of spaghetti)
thread
scissors
iron

Here are the instructions:
It's basically like making a pillowcase, but sewing all 4 sides, then sewing 2 ribbons on top that you can tie to the handle of the car seat. The typed instructions are hard to read on this picture, so I'll try to summarize:

Put the 2 yards of fabric together - prints facing each other, sew 3 sides with about 1/2 or 1/4 inch seam. Start sewing the 4th side, but leave a space in the middle where you can stop and turn the fabric right side out. Then top stitch around all 4 sides. Iron out the seams. Now measure the best spot for your ribbons to go (may depend on your car seat handle) and sew about a 1 inch square in the middle of the ribbon, so the rest of the ribbon is left dangling (make sure its long enough to tie around the handle AND tie a ribbon before cutting it).

If you want to see pictures on a website that sells them, you can go to: www.thecarseatcanopy.com

Good Luck!








Now lets hope my next post is of Avery's new car seat canopy!

2 comments:

Steph said...

Awesome Bri! I was just thinking about one of these the other day, I want to make one! May have to wait awhile until I can fit fabric into the budget. :)

Thanks for the instructions!

Alyssa Phair said...

I just got one of these from by sister-in-law. I'm excited to try it out! It's a great idea. I'd never seen one before either.